b-hebrew - Re: Locating Ai

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Walter Mattfeld" <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Locating Ai
  • Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 22:14:50 +0100

Walter, you should know better than to slip so easily from "excavations...
failed to find" to "didn't exist", especially as the tombs provide evidence
that there was occupation. As we haven't found the site of this occupation,
we have no way of knowing or estimating its size, in area or in number.

As for the 12,000 population of Ai, this would surely have included the
population of the surrounding villages and pasturelands subject to Ai, who
would have taken refuge in the city from the attacking army. These people
could be counted as "people of Ai", but they would not have lived in the
walled area or used the city water supply. Maybe someone can estimate the
ratio of urban to rural population at the time; I would guess that the
permanent city dwellers were a small proportion.

Peter Kirk