b-hebrew - Re: Complex Past Perfective in WO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kimmo Huovila <kimmo.huovila AT helsinki.fi>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Complex Past Perfective in WO
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:29:56 +0300

Though not directly addressing your questions, I do not think there is
anything aspectually strange in WO's example of 1 Sam. 18:30. David met
with more success (in a perfective sense) - and this as often as they
came out.

So we have here a perfective situation coded with a perfective aspect
that is opened (made imperfective) by iteration (as often as). The verb
gets its aspect from the inner, perfective layer, not the iterated
imperfective one.

I hope this helps.

Kimmo