b-hebrew - Re: Sanakharibos in Herodotos - Biblical Implications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joe Baker <joebaker AT cygnus.uwa.edu.au>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Sanakharibos in Herodotos - Biblical Implications
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 21:42:14 +0800

Banyai. I agree that the mention of Tarharqa in the account of the siege of
Jerusalem is an anachronism. I agree that Herodotos' Anysis is a reflection
of Hanes (which in the time of Isaiah was a major city of the Tanis
kingdom). But I see no problem with any of this.

But when you say things like

<quote>the Assyrian and Babylonian chronologies have got 18 years shorter
than the Israelite, due to the rejection of 18 limu officials from the late
reign of Tiglatpileser III</quote>

and dating to 703 BC the notion that

<quote>The troops of Merodach-Baladan besiege Assyrian ally Sidon</quote>

I think its time for me to withdraw from the debate

Regards
Joe Baker ===========\
Perth |
Western Australia ===/