b-hebrew - Re: Complex Past Perfective in WO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Complex Past Perfective in WO
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:10:10 -0700

Joseph,

> WO page 486, discussing Fientive Verbs mentions "the prefective sense may
> be...complex" and he quotes 1 Sam. 18:30 as an example, "As often as they
> came out, David *met with* more *success* than all the (other) servants of
> Saul." (1 Sam. 18:30)<shakal>
>
> 1. What is a complex perfect in the suffix conjugation?

Best I can gather, it's a category they came up with to retain the
idea "perfective" even when the verb in question doesn't seem to
allow it. One problem I have with WO is that they stretch the ideas
of "perfective" and "imperfective" to such extremes that the words
essentially lose all meaning.

> 2. Is this a valid category?

IMO, no. It's badly ad hoc and doesn't really seem to say anything.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"In the face of an obstacle which is impossible to
overcome, stubborness is stupid." Simone de Beauvoir