b-hebrew - Re: Sanakharibos in Herodotos - Biblical Implications

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Banyai Michael" <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Sanakharibos in Herodotos - Biblical Implications
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 8:28:49

There is still a major detail, I forgot, which undoubtably speaks against
your idea of a loan of HB from Herodot.

According to Jesajas XXX, 4 went Hiskijas men to Egypt to Hanes. The city
where
reigned according to Herodot II, 137 Sethos predecesor was called Anysis=
Herakleopolis mikra. This is a further parallel between both sources.

I can hardly beleave that Jesajas relied on Herodot or the other way round,
as little I beleave the same about the rest.

HB and Herodot are inextricably interwoven because they are independent
testimonies about a real event.

Best regards,

Banyai Michael