b-hebrew - re: Structure of Exod 19:18

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Naama Zahavi-Ely <nxzaha AT wm.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Structure of Exod 19:18
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:13:41 -0400

My understanding of this verse is not "because of YHWH (who) came down upon
it with fire", but
rather "because of the coming down of YHWH upon it with fire" (or, if you
like, "because YHWH came
down upon it with fire" -- but it is the verb, not the noun, that is being
referred to by the
"because"). In other words, not because of the person, but because of the
action. This is made
clear by the order of the words -- precisely the peculiarity you bring up.
In fact, moving the
BF)"$ to any other location wouldn't have worked -- it would sound all wrong.
This construction is
hard to translate into English without losing some aspects of its meaning --
but that's a problem
of English, not of the Hebrew original.

Best,

Naama Zahavi-Ely