b-hebrew - Re: Exodus 9:24

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Exodus 9:24
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:33:09 -0700

> Dear Noel,
>
> My research has indicated that the notion of "hail mixed with fire", hurled
> from heaven by God upon Israel's enemies (Ex 9:24) that your question
> alludes to, is mirrored in Assyrian hymns to their national god, Asshur.

"Mirrored"? Hardly. There are mentions of fire, nothing more.
These references have nothing in common with the Exodus
passage, especially since someone had to supply the word "hail"
in the only passage mentioning "stones." This looks like nothing
but reaching to me, a common type of excessive effort to find
"parallels" between biblical material and other ANE materials. This
one doesn't work.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"In the face of an obstacle which is impossible to
overcome, stubborness is stupid." Simone de Beauvoir