b-hebrew - Re: Diachronic Hebrew wayyiqtol (WAW the conjunction)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Diachronic Hebrew wayyiqtol (WAW the conjunction)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 20:35:04 +0100

Dear Henry,

In my post of Feb. 20th. I made some comments regarding WAYYIQTOL with
cohortative. My data search did not give wholly correct numbers, but now I
have looked at each example and give the following revised numbers:

WAYYIQTOLs with cohortative ending in all books: 661

The following verbs cannot take cohortative,
lamed he verbs: 44
verbs with suffixes: 52
The following must also be excluded from possible examples,
apocopated forms of WAYYIQTOLs 1 person: 68
WEYIQTOLs wrongly counted as WAYYIQTOLs:76

This means that (44+52+68+76) = 240 examples must be substracted from the
number of 661. The result is that 421 of the WAYYIQTOLs of the Tanach *can*
take cohortative. I found that 82 of these had cohortative ending, and this
means that 19.5% of the possible examples of WAYYIQTOL have cohortative
ending.

Of the 68 apocopated forms, 54 were lamed he verbs, and this means that 55%
of the lamed he verbs that *can* be apocopated are apocopated.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo