b-hebrew - Re: Diachronic Hebrew wayyiqtol (WAW the conjunction)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Diachronic Hebrew wayyiqtol (WAW the conjunction)
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 13:18:44 +0100

Dear Henry,

It is allways pleasant and instructive to read your posts because of your
deep insight in phonology and your clear way of expression. My objections
to your conclusions regarding WAYYIQTOL do not relate to your basic
theoretical framwork or to your method but rather to your assumptions. I
will make my comments below, but let me first outline some basic points?

We agree that WAYYIQTOL is the conjunction WAW plus YIQTOL, but we disagree
as to its meaning. You see the YIQTOL in this form as another YIQTOL
("short") than the freestanding YIQTOL ("long"), and this "short" YIQTOL
goes back to an original past/preterit YAQTUL. I agree that WAYYIQTOL in
verbs where we can see the difference often consists of the short form, but
this is not allways the case. So it seems to me that *modality* is
associated with WAYYIQTOL rather than past tense. This is also suggested by
the fact that there are 119 WAYYIQTOLs with cohortative ending in the
Tanach. There are 696 1st person WAYYIQTOLs in the Tanach, and this means
that 17% of 1st person WAYYIQTOLs take cohortative. There are 50 1st person
WAYYIQTOLs that are apocopated (7%) If we look at all WAYYIQTOLs (14972),
we find that 3919 (26%) are apocopated

Many forms can neither be apocopated nor take cohortative so the "low"
percentage of apocopated forms does not say that the other verbs does not
apocopated nor take cohortative, and therefore we can say that just as the
rule for WAYYIQTOL generally is that it takes the short YIQTOL, so the
rule for 1st person WAYYIQTOLs is that they take cohortative (or are
apocopated- 17% cohortative+7% apocopated= 24%). How would you explain
this? Does it not speak for the view that *modality* is associated with
WAYYIQTOL, morphologically speaking, rather than past tense? (I reject the
recent suggestion that cohortative is a particle for direction just as
Accadian ventive:)

The number for the DSS are as follows:
607 YIQTOLs with enclitiv WAW
152 of these are apocopated (25%)
28 1st person YIQTOL+WAW
19 1st person YIQTOL+WAW are apocopated (67% - neither of the 9 other 1st
person forms could be apocopated).

Soon I will start my mapping of all the WAYYIQTOLs, but I already know that
there are may examples where the writer could have chosen an apocopated
form but he chose the long form. How many such examples will your theory
that the YIQTOL of WAYYIQTOL is a short YIQTOL going back to a short
preterite, tolerate?
If I find that in 5, or 10 or 20% of the cases did the writer choose the
long form instead of the short form, can your theory still be upheld?

I agree that a short YIQTOL has been used in the Semitic languages with
past reference (but not as a past tense), but can you prove that *two*
distinct short YIQTOLs once existed, one being a past tense and the other
being a modal form? I believe this is an unfounded assumption, and that
there just has been one form that both could signal modality and could be
used for past (and non-past reference).

HC
>> From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
>
>> I do not use as an assumption in my studies that Hebrew has just two
>> conjugations! But I use two other assumptions: (2) Unpointed
>> manuscripts have priority above pointed ones as better textual
>> witnesses. So we have to start with the data from the unpointed
>> manuscripts. Everybody can see that the orthography just
>> distinguishes between two groups of verbs. But are there more than
>> two? Those who claim that should prove it, and before this is done,
>> on the basis of orthography I see just two conjugations. As a
>> matter of fact, there is no indication that the WAW prefixed to
>> YIQTOLs is anything but a conjunction before the Masoretes pointed
>> the text.
>
>Unfortunately, some important morphological distinctions are simply
>not encoded in the consonantal orthography, due to the nature of the
>consonant-only orthographic system (one semi-random example is the
>contrast between the prepositions k-, l-, and b- followed by a
>definite article vs. k-, l-, and b- followed by a noun not prefixed
>with a definite article). In such cases, it is fair to assume that
>the Masoretes may have mispointed the contrast incorrectly in some few
>individual forms (since the earlier consonant-only written text did
>not give them any guidance). However, this does _not_ create any
>particular reasonable presumption that there was originally an
>undifferentiated single form (i.e. a morphological unity) that was
>later artificially differentiated by the Masoretes. (This might
>perhaps be the case, but if so, it would have to be specifically
>proved in detail, and not vaguely presumed.)

RF
I do not claim (or know) that "originally" there was just one
prefix-conjugation without any difference in short and long forms. But I
take as my point of departure that there are two clearly distinct groups in
the verbal systen of Classical Hebrew, the prefix-group and the
suffix-group. Looking at the prefix-group we find two sub-groups, the short
and the long YIQTOL. I will not call YIQTOLs with cohortative a
conjugation, so the question is whether we should make this distinction for
those YIQTOLs that have "modal" traits,i.e. which are short.

HC
>Of course lamed-he verbs show truncated "short" forms in certain
>categories (often including wayyiqtol, but generally not w@yiqtol)
>even in the consonantal orthography, as pointed out by Peter Kirk:

RF
Of 1217 WEYIQTOLs I found 92 apocopated examples (7,5%) and 138 examples
with cohortative (11.3%). As mentioned above, 26% of the WAYYIQTOLs are
apocopated and 17% of 1st person WAYYIQTOLs take cohortative.

HC
>>> PK: There is of course even in the unpointed text a difference
>>> (apart from the W) between non-jussive YIQTOL and WAYYIQTOL in a
>>> significant minority of verb forms, the difference between long and
>>> short prefix forms. I think this is found fairly consistently in
>>> all MSS including ancient unpointed ones. You need to explain this
>>> also.
>

>>> From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
>
>>> PK: I agree that the WAW's in all cases act as a conjunction. But
>>> that doesn't mean that after the WAW's have been stripped off
>>> -AYYIQTOL and -EYIQTOL mean the same. Indeed, there is a clear
>>> difference between the context in verse 4 where WEYIQTOLs are
>>> consistently used and in verses 8-9 where WAYYIQTOLs are
>>> consistently used. I don't know how you can explain how the
>>> Masoretes were able to make this consistent distinction if they
>>> were not actually hearing a difference between WEYIQTOL and
>>> WAYYIQTOL.
>
>> Nobody has ever given an explanation based on evidence what these
>> supposed elements "E" and "AY" are, what their origin is, and what
>> their force is.
>
>The morphemic segmentation of w@yiqtol and wayyiqtol must be w@-yiqtol
>and wa-C-yiqtol, so there are no morphemic elements "@" or "ay".
>(There is an assimilating consonantal element in waCyiqtol whose lack
>of definite phonological features in attested Hebrew makes it
>difficult to trace its exact historical origin, but there's nothing
>especially implausible about this.)
>

>> WAW is never anything but a conjunction, and that there is no
>> semantic difference between YIQTOL and WAYYIQTOL and between WEQATAL
>> and QATAL. [...] how can anyone claim that the WAYY-element has a
>> semantic meaning apart from its force as a conjunction?
>
>Waw is indeed nothing but a conjunction, but it's followed by two
>historically different verb conjugations in w@yiqtol vs. wayyiqtol
>(historically *wa-yaqtulu vs. *wa-C-yaqtul). So the difference in
>meaning here is not necessarily caused by the absence vs. presence of
>the assimilating consonant (and certainly is not caused by the
>difference between the vowels _sh@wa_ vs. _pathah._, which merely
>follows automatically phonologically from the absence vs. presence of
>the assimilating consonant, see further below), but instead comes from
>the original contrast in meaning between *yaqtul vs. *yaqtulu.
>I can't say whether the meaning difference between these two
>conjugations was "semantic" in your strict sense of the term (I'm
>simply not qualified to discuss such topics), but I'm not sure that it
>really matters; it's enough to show that *yaqtul forms have a general
>past/"preterite"/perfect pattern of usage in Akkadian, Arabic (the
>pseudo-"jussive" after _lam_) etc. in order to show some basic
>continuity in meaning between reconstructed *yaqtul and Tiberian
>wayyiqtol.

RF
Your observations above that we find the same pattern in the different
Semitic languages regarding the use of the short and long prefix-form is
true. But we should remember that the short form is just as much associated
with modality as it is with past reference. We should also remember that
there is no consistency in the use of the short form, as far as past
reference is concerned. Both the short and the long form can be used for
past, present and future. The most pressing question,therefore, is why a
form that has modal characteristics to such a great extent is used with
past reference. An answer to this can illuminate whether the short
imperfect is a modal YIQTOL or whether it is a conjugation in its own
right.

HC

>> I did not at the outset assume any number of conjugations, but I
>> would ask: How can we know there are more conjugations than the two
>> the orthography (consonants) indicate?
>
>Leaving aside all considerations of synchronic semantics (which many
>have analyzed somewhat differently than you have done), one answer is:
>detailed diachronic phonological reconstructions, and comparative
>Semitic morphology.

RF
These are fine tools and can give much insight. But they can only give
approximate answers, because each language is different and must be studied
in its own right.

HC

>> neither is it logical to view the short YIQTOL as an independent
>> conjugation of its own. Looking at the cognate languages, we find
>> that indicative is long and subjunctive is short: The difference in
>> meaning between short and long prefix- forms in the Semitic
>> languages is one of modus, not one of tense or aspect (except
>> possibly in Accadian). Therefore I think we should speak of just
>> two different conjugations [prefix vs. suffix] that are
>> morphologically different.
>
>Yes, there are old *yaqtul type jussives as well as old *yaqtul type
>"preterites" (using the word "preterite" as a convenient vague label),
>as you yourself said:

RF
How can we know that there were two *YAQTULs, one being modal and the other
preterite? Can it be that there was just one *YAKTUL which both is modal
and can be used for past reference?

HC
> [...]
>Aramaic, and Arabic) in which the only prefix forms that survived
>(i.e. non-preterite *yaqtulu, preterite *yaqtul, and jussive *yaqtul)
>all happened to resemble each other in basic phonological stem shape,
>and the former stative quasi-nominal suffix conjugation became more
>important. (It may possibly true that the "north central" *yaqtulu
>has some historical connection with the Akkadian subjunctive, but if
>so, it seems to have early detached itself from such an ultimate
>origin to become a separate, mostly indicative, conjunction in the
>"north central" block of languages.)
>
>Eventually, however, the originally separate prefix conjugations
>became slight morphological variants of one sole basic prefix
>conjugation in these languages (though traces of the original meaning
>differences between the conjugations survived in some cases), so that
>the most important contrast in the verbal system now came to be one of
>suffix conjugation vs. (undifferentiated) prefix conjugation. But
>this would not originally be the most important contrast in the
>Semitic verbal system, nor the most important contrast in other
>Semitic languages outside the "north-central" block. Thus I agree
>with Peter:
>
>>> PK: in Akkadian there is a "short" prefix form (one of the ones
>>> listed as "subjunctive" below) commonly used in what appears to be
>>> narrative, with no clear indication of modality in the context,
>>> just as WAYYIQTOL is used in Hebrew narrative? If so, I think that
>>> must be a strong argument for a distinction between two prefix
>>> forms going back to proto-Semitic, one of which is "imperfective"
>>> and the other (apart from its modal uses) is something like a
>>> preterit. You wrote: "There can be little doubt that the line of
>>> demarcation in the verbal systems of the Semitic languages is drawn
>>> between prefix-conjugation/suffix-conjugation." But to me, this
>>> evidence puts a very large measure of doubt on this statement.
>
>Actually, there is not much evidence for "long" *yaqtulu as an
>indicative in Proto-Semitic; rather this seems to be a "north-central"
>innovation, as discussed above. Sometimes the impressive phonological
>and morphological archaism of Arabic can give one the impression that
>the structure of the Arabic verbal system is also conservative, but
>this is not the case (see my earlier post about no living language
>being uniformly historically conservative). As mentioned above, the
>Arabic qatala perfect likely corresponds to a proto-Semitic stative
>quasi-nominal thing, while if the Arabic yaqtulu imperfect directly
>descends from anything in Proto-Semitic, this was almost certainly
>_not_ indicative. An original proto-Semitic past indicative only
>survives into Arabic in the restrictive context of the pseudo-jussive
>after _lam_, while no original proto-Semitic non-past indicative seems
>to have survived into Arabic at all (at least not in the

RF
Your suggestions about Proto-Semitic forms may be true, but how can we
know? There is much conjecture in such reconstructions. I have not reached
any final conclusions regarding a possible connection between modality and
past reference, but I do not exclude the possibility that WAYYIQTOLs are
modal forms, and that the borders for what is viewed as modal in Hebrew is
somewhat different from Germanic languages. You mentioned Accadian
subjunctive, and that is an example of a "mood" that is not a "mood" in the
Germanic sense of the word. It is difficult to find any modal force in
Hebrew cohortative as well; think for instance of the 119 cohortatives
occurring with WAYYIQTOL as mentioned above.

What about the following theory, concentrating of the prefix-form(s):
Protosemitic had one prefix-form that signaled indicative. When modal
expression (with somewhat different borders compared with Germanic
modality) was intended, a short variant was used. This short variant was
often used for past reference as well. Do you know any *data* that excludes
the possibility that one and the same form could be used for modality and
past reference (or that the kind of past reference could be subsumed under
the category modality, just as the Accadian subjunctive U is added to verbs
in conditional, relative, and dependent, subordinate clauses, clauses that
we would say are indicative?)

HC

> [...]
>which is consonant-final, but final-syllable stress in underlyingly
>consonant-final forms. Having established this generalization, one
>can then go on to examine the apparent exceptions to the pattern
>(which turn out to be highly significant for the reconstruction of the
>verb system); but one wouldn't even be able to see the basic pattern
>without conducting a serious specific analysis of the phonological
>data in terms of sophisticated phonological theory (where the patterns
>and their changes through time can't be analyzed very clearly without
>recognizing concepts such as "synchronic underlying forms" and
>"synchronic stress-shifts").
>
>One of the significant exceptions to the basic Tiberian
>stress-positioning generalization is the wayyiqtol (in attested
>Tiberian Hebrew such anomalous stress is mainly confined to roots
>which are weak in some respect, but with residual evidence that this
>anomalous wayyiqtol stress originally applied to strong roots also).
>If you probe this Tiberian wayyiqtol stress anomaly further, using the
>tools of historical phonology and language reconstruction, it becomes
>clear that such anomalous stress indicates that Tiberian wayyiqtol
>goes straight back to consonant-final *yaqtul, while Tiberian regular
>yiqtol goes straight back to original vowel-final *yaqtulu (this is
>the main argument of chapter 4 of my dissertation, though in that
>chapter I found it more convenient to adopt an order of presentation
>which seems to trace things forward in time, instead of appearing to
>deduce reconstructions backwards in time).
>
>My historical phonological account can be refuted be showing that my
>reconstructions are wrong in specific historical phonological details;
>but it cannot be refuted by a semantic-only analysis of synchronic
>Tiberian verb forms (no matter how intense), nor by a vague "naive
>functionalism" phonological explanation which does not take into
>account the full richness and complexity of patterning of the detailed
>phonological alternations.
>
>It is true that Tiberian Hebrew pausal forms do have a limited
>"functional" value in marking words at the end of phonological
>phrases. But the specific phonological patterns governing the
>distribution of pausal stress-alternations are the same for stress
>alternations which involve the "conversive tenses" as for stress
>alternations which do not involve the "conversive tenses". No one has
>claimed that the alternation between pausal [yiqtooluu] and non-pausal
>[yiqt@luu] was caused by semantic factors, so it is not clear why the
>wayyiqtol stress-shift should have a semantic origin. (It is true
>that the w@qatalta stress-shift may have arisen analogically on the
>model of the wayyiqtol stress-shift, but this is a case of
>highly-specific phonological/morphological analogy from one
>stress-alternation pattern to another, not an extremely vague theory
>of semantics manifesting itself directly into phonology.)

RF
I appreciate your comments on phonology where you are an expert. At present
I am busy with the mapping of the different verb forms, but in the future I
will study the reasons for Masoretic pointing, and I will make full use of
your detailed and interesting thesis.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli