b-hebrew - Re: BAR- what rubbish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Charles David Isbell <cisbell AT home.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: BAR- what rubbish
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 10:54:55 -0500

At 09:43 AM 2/25/00 -0600, you wrote:
>Jim,
>In your brief review of the latest BAR, you list four scholars together:
>Lemche, Thompson, Davies, Whitelam. Do you rank the book by Whitelam (THE
>INVENTION OF ANCIENT ISRAEL) as a work of scholarship comparable to the
>level consistently attained by the first three?

Because all four represent what dever characterizes as the "Copenhagen"
school.
In what follows you do not give the impression that you like Keith's book.
For my part- I found it revolutionary, extremely insightful, and truly
groundbreaking. His scholarship- though different in style from Niels and
Tom and Phillip, is just as rigorous in its own way.

Best to you,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
jwest AT highland.net