b-hebrew - Re: BAR- what rubbish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BAR- what rubbish
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:11:07 -0600

Charles David Isbell wrote:

> I think it is only fair to accept the reality that in the 20th century, well
> before the founding of the State of Israel in 1948, the world at large used
> the term "Palestine" throughout to refer to the territory in question. So I
> see no valid reason for offense at this use of the term.

I also have no problem with the term "Palestine" that was in use for this area
from the 2nd to the 20th century. I use the term primarily for the ancient
region
from the monarchy onward. This may seem to be anachronistic to its coinage
by the Romans but, of course, so are such terms as "ancient Egypt" and the
"Ancient Americas" which never seems to draw criticism. I regularly use the
phrase "ancient Palestine" and in modern usage either Israel or Palestine
depending on context with little regard for political sensibilities. Who ever
said History was diplomatic <grin>

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net