b-hebrew - Re: BAR- what rubbish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: BAR- what rubbish
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:24:03 +0200

Because of the political implications of the term "Palestine". mpre and more English-language Israeli publications, including even a scholarly one I have seen recently I forget which; age), use the term Eretz-Israel ("Land of Israel") whenever they wish to refer to Palestine.
In Hebrew, the term eretz yisrael has been used for a very long time; witness the title of the veteran annual Eretz Iisrael, published for the Society for the Exploration of Eretz Israel and Its Antiquities.
Sincerely,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies