b-hebrew - Re: LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief or sense of incongruity?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <gs02wmr AT panther.Gsu.EDU>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief or sense of incongruity?
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 10:19:04 -0500 (EST)

May I digress a tad?

Isn't "zakhaak"(TZADI, CHET, KAF") = to mock, to make fun of, to joke
about, to toy with...

the root word for Isaac(Yeetz'chak) ???

Why does Yeetz'chak come to mean 'He that Laughs/is Mocked' while
Yeeshma'el(Ishmael)[derived from Yod(Oh), Shema(Hear/Listen To), and
El(God/The God/The Mighty)] means 'God listens to him' or 'God will hear
him.'

Does this have any significance or connotation?

Shalum
Wondell M. Rachman