b-hebrew - Re: LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief or sense of incongruity?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief or sense of incongruity?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 04:00:27 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2000 11:55:35 PM Central Daylight Time,
sundance AT neosoft.com writes:

<< Please DEFINE sahaq - from Harold Helm, Houston TX USA
Gen. 18:12 Therefore Sarah LAUGHED within herself, saying,
After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being
old also?
compare with

Prov. 29:9 If a wise man contends with a foolish man,
whether he rage or LAUGH, there is no rest.
Eccl. 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to LAUGH;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you that hunger now: for you shall be filled.
Blessed are you that weep now: for you shall LAUGH.

LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief, discomort, or sense of incongruity?
- or is it an expression of HOPE, of JOY, or of unfulfilled WISH?
...IS the context one of PLEASURE versus pain, denial and relief?

Yes. . . to all of the above. I don't see much difference in the usage of
the Hebrew CXQ and English "to laugh."

gfsomsel