b-hebrew - Re: LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief or sense of incongruity?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: <sundance AT neosoft.com>
  • Subject: Re: LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief or sense of incongruity?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:59:02 -0500

There is another alternative which may be relevant to Proverbs 29:9
(which I happened to be looking at this morning): this verb can mean
"mock" or "scoff". The translation of this verse which you quote is
doubtful: there is no indication in the Hebrew for "whether... or",
but rather more like "both... and"; and it is quite possible to rage
and to mock at the same time (as has perhaps been demonstrated on this
list recently). Incidentally, in this verse, is the one who rages and
mocks the wise man or the fool? I think it is clear not from the
Hebrew but from the wider context. For the overall message of the
verse is clear: it is not wise to argue with fools. I am trying to
learn this lesson.

Peter Kirk

_________________________________
Author: <sundance AT neosoft.com> at Internet
Date: 15/02/2000 22:54

Please DEFINE sahaq - from Harold Helm, Houston TX USA
Gen. 18:12 Therefore Sarah LAUGHED within herself, saying,
After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being
old also?
compare with

Prov. 29:9 If a wise man contends with a foolish man,
whether he rage or LAUGH, there is no rest.
Eccl. 3:4 A time to weep, and a time to LAUGH;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
Luke 6:21 Blessed are you that hunger now: for you shall be filled.
Blessed are you that weep now: for you shall LAUGH.

LAUGHTER = sahaq = disbelief, discomort, or sense of incongruity?
- or is it an expression of HOPE, of JOY, or of unfulfilled WISH?
..IS the context one of PLEASURE versus pain, denial and relief?

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: Peter_Kirk AT sil.org
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-b-hebrew-14207U AT franklin.oit.unc.e
du