b-hebrew - Re: Ps 119:163 - a "cohortative" wayyiqtol?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: KELowery AT cs.com
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ps 119:163 - a "cohortative" wayyiqtol?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:01:46 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Cc: "Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 10:39 AM

> Dear Kirk,
> There are many of these wayyiqtols with he paragogicum
> See these examples (all piel like your text):

[snip]

> Also see the 18 examples of va'omrah:

Yes, these are good examples of the wayyiqtol + paragogic he. They also all
begin with "WF-", that is with compensatory qamets, since the gutteral aleph
cannot be doubled. So they are unambiguously wayyiqtols. In Ps 119:163,
however,
WA':ATA`"BFH begins with patach, which would be the normal weyiqtol (hence,
cohortative with the final he).

So do we say the scribes just muffed the vocalization, go with the minority of
mss which have qamets? Or is something else going on here?

And what do we do with wayyiqtol + paragogic he? How is it different from
plain
vanilla wayyiqtol?

Blessings,

Kirk
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. Email: klowery AT wts.edu
Associate Director Phone: 215-572-3854
The Westminster Hebrew Institute Fax: 215-887-5511
Westminster Theological Seminary
P.O. Box 27,009
Philadelphia, PA 19118