b-hebrew - Re: Ps 119:163 - a "cohortative" wayyiqtol?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: KELowery AT cs.com
  • Cc: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ps 119:163 - a "cohortative" wayyiqtol?
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:39:52 -0500

Dear Kirk,
There are many of these wayyiqtols with he paragogicum
See these examples (all piel like your text):
Deut. 1:16
Deut. 1:18
Neh. 7:2
Ps. 7:5
Ps. 73:16
Ps. 119:106
Ps. 119:147
Jer. 32:13
Ezek. 16:8
Dan. 8:15
Also see the 18 examples of va'omrah:
Jdg. 6:10
Ezr. 8:28
Ezr. 9:6
Neh. 5:7
Neh. 5:8
Neh. 5:13
Neh. 6:11
Neh. 13:9
Neh. 13:11
Neh. 13:17
Neh. 13:19
Neh. 13:21
Neh. 13:22
Dan. 9:4
Dan. 10:16
Dan. 10:19
Dan. 12:8
Lee R. Martin

KELowery AT cs.com wrote:

> How does one understand the morphology of WA':ATA`"BFH
>
> in Ps 119:163:
>
> $EQER &FN"'TIY WA':ATA`"BFH T.OWRFT:KF 'FHFB:T.IY
> "Falsehood I hate and abhor; your Torah I love."
>
> >From a strictly morphological viewpoint, it looks like a piel cohortative
> >1cs
> from T`B. Yet GKC 108g cites this very verse as an example of a "he
> paragogicum"
> added to a waw-consecutive! And cites the form with a waw-qamets (which
> apparently some mss have, but not L/BHS), which would be unambiguously
> wayyiqtol, albeit with a final he which is difficult to explain. Then
> there's
> Waltke&O'Connor (pg 576-77), who, although they do not cite this verse,
> speak of
> "pseudo-cohortatives" followed by some very unclear discussion of the
> phenomena.
> The translations typically treat it as if it were a perfect, since the
> other two
> verbs are perfects.
>
> So:
>
> 1. morphologically, what is it?
>
> 2. syntactically and semantically, what is its function?
>
> And why not just have expressed it with a perfect in the first place? (I.e.,
> what change in meaning, if any, is signaled by the "cohoratative" here?)
>
> Blessings,
>
> Kirk
>
> P.S. Evidently there are about 90 or so cases of this type of phenomenon,
> according to the standard authorities. So the case here is not unique.
> Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D. Email: klowery AT wts.edu
> Associate Director Phone: 215-572-3854
> The Westminster Hebrew Institute Fax: 215-887-5511
> Westminster Theological Seminary
> P.O. Box 27,009
> Philadelphia, PA 19118
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: lmartin AT vol.com

Lee R. Martin
Pastor, Prospect Church of God, Cleveland, Tennessee
Instructor in Hebrew and Old Testament
Church of God Theological Seminary
http://earth.vol.com/~lmartin/