b-hebrew - Re: Proverbs 8:22

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: ben.crick AT argonet.co.uk (Ben Crick)
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Proverbs 8:22
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 22:38:36 +0000

On Fri 18 Feb 2000 (11:04:38), tmcos AT hotmail.com wrote:
> I had a question re: Prov 8:22 and the usage of the word QANAH. I noticed
> it is sometimes translated. "produced", "possessed" or "created". Any ideas
> on how QANAH should be transalted, in other words, what would be the
> best translation of QANAH?

Dear Tony,

People will translate this word in accordance with their theological
predelictions. 8-)

IMHO the definitive meaning is given by Eve in Genesis 4:1 when she
brings forth QaYiN, crying QaNiYTiY 'iY$ 'eT-YHWH. So the nuance would
be "procreated" rather than "created". God didn't create Cain; Adam and
Eve pro-created him on God's behalf, or with God['s help]: 'eT-YHWH.

Jerome translates /possedi hominem per Dominum/. Hence English "possessed".
"Gotten" or "begotten" is often preferred. So also in Proverbs 8:22,
/pace/ the LXX which puts KURIOS *EKTISE* ME, perhaps echoing the LXX of
Genesis 4:1, EKTHSAMHN ANQRWPON DIA TOU QEOU. A play on the words KTIZW
and TIKTW? (ETEKE....EKTHSAMHN; EKTISE)

This however gets us into the realms of theology, and out of the realms of
straight translation. We've been here before; so look into the archives.

Shalom
Ben
--
Revd Ben Crick, BA CF