b-hebrew - Re: Book

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Book
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:51:11 +0100

Dear Lee,

This is a book that should be read when one looks for the meaning of
WAYYIQTOL. However, the author follows the traditional road, and he uses as
a *premise* that WAYYIQTOL represents a Northwest Semitic preterite
*yaqtul. He also claims that "Post-exilic compositions reflect major
changes in the use of the waw-consecutive." but his data are less than
concincing. However, it should be studied. His 55 examples of WAYYIQTOL in
the DSS (at his disposition in 1991) are too few compared with my own finds
(Smith found no WAYYIQTOLs in The Temple Scroll; QRB in LXV 8 is one
example he overlooked). Smith has many fine observations and write in a
distinct and lucid way. I recommend the book.

Regards
Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo

>Dear List,
>Has anyone read the following book? Please comment on it.
>Smith, Mark S. THE ORGINS AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE WAW-CONSECTIVE.
> Northwest Semitic Evidence from Ugarit to Qumran. Harvard Semitic
>Studies 39. 100pp.:
> Scholars Press, 1991.
>
>--
>
>Lee R. Martin