b-hebrew - Re: "Gypsies, tramps and thieves"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: "Gypsies, tramps and thieves"
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:17:01 -0500

Do you have gypsies in Australia? Real ones, that is, not fringe
dwellers in general. This has become a rather emotive issue in
England, where real gypsies and Romanies are naturally upset at being
bracketed with thieves. I accept that George did not intend a racial
slur and apologise for suggesting this. But we must all be careful
that our postings cannot be misunderstood in such ways by speakers of
different dialects of English.

Peter Kirk