b-hebrew - Re: Stop with the Rohl material.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Stop with the Rohl material.
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:06:06 -0500

Dear Ian,

I am glad to see that you are actually reading Rohl's "A Test of
Time". I certainly don't claim it is perfect, it is flawed in many
ways. But that does not invalidate its central thesis; and even if the
central thesis of redating is wrong, the subsidiary theses of
identifications of biblical and archaeological events and persons may
stand.

Meanwhile, if it is the consensus of list members that they do not
want this to be a forum for speculative historical reconstructions, I
will stop posting such materials, and expect others, especially L.M.
Barre but also Ian, to refrain from posting theirs. Then we can go
back to Hebrew. But if other speculations are acceptable, so are
Rohl's. See also my recent posting about the acceptability of
Copernicus' writings.

Peter Kirk