b-hebrew - "Gypsies, tramps and thieves"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Charles Hutchesson <MC2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Subject: "Gypsies, tramps and thieves"
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:48:02 +0100 (CET)

When I was growing up this was a hit on the radio. The term "gypsy", which
relates to Egypt and may have been coined as a term of disparagement for the
Romany people, was used in the song and in the English language in general
for people with no fixed address, fringe dwellers in society. At least,
that's how it is understood in Australia. Perhaps it's something I have in
common with George, but I think to read a social slur into George's use of
the term is overreacting.

The only real problem with it regarding the Habiru is that, as Niels Peter
pointed out, it doesn't include the upper reaches of society.

Ian