b-hebrew - Re[2]: Stop with the Rohl material.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Stop with the Rohl material.
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 13:06:27 -0500

Thank you, Ian. I agree that Rohl's name identifications are
speculative and prove little. But, leaving aside the matters of names
and of absolute dates, there is still Rohl's basic thesis identifying
the Canaan of the books of Samuel with that of the Amarna age. I have
already tried to make that work. It is now up to others to falisfy
this. Can you do so? Note that to falsify a hypothesis you need to do
more than cast doubt on the evidence in its favour; you need to
produce evidence which clearly contradicts it. That evidence I have
not yet seen.

Peter Kirk