b-hebrew - RE: Summary of relevant data so far

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'barre AT access1.com'" <barre AT access1.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Summary of relevant data so far
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 13:31:35 +0100

Now, Hamor is not a Hurrian, he is a Hivvite. Maybe the Hivvites are
Hurrians, but we do not know and Hamor's name is Semitic (Amorite/Hebrew).

> - Hamor's son was named Shechem.
>
> - Hurrian names are attested at El Amarna.
>
> - Some Hurrian chieftains ruled cities.
>
> - Hamor is a Semitic name.
>
> - Semitic Hurrians were ruled by an Indo-European aristocracy.
What? Hurrians were not Semites, and their language was totally
different. What has the Indo-Iranians to do with this. There are also
Indo-Iranian PN among the nams of rulers in the Amarna archive (e.g. in
Damascu), but did they rule Hurrian speaking or Semitic speaking people?
> - Shechem suffered destruction in the era intersecting with Lab'aya.
Wilfull interpretation of the not very safe archaeological evidence.

> - Lab'aya and Akhenaten were contemporaries.
Great?
> - Hamor and Jacob are portrayed as contemporaries.
>
> - Lab'aya gave up Shechem.
>
> - Jacob seized Shechem by force.
No! Even an argument exclusively based on the Bible alone can see
that this is wrong. There is nothing about Jacob having conquered Shechem.
> - Joshua reportedly too possession of Shechem without conflict.

I cannot find any evidence here that supports your hypothesis.
NPL