b-hebrew - Re: Date of the Exodus (quite short)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jack Kilmon <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: Banyai Michael <banyai AT t-online.de>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Date of the Exodus (quite short)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:58:31 -0600

Banyai Michael wrote:

> Niels Peter Lemche and J.Kilmon wrote:
> >

> > > Until such time as there is (no) archaeological or epigraphic evidence
> > > support
> > > a bronze age mass exodus of Jews from Egypt, I consider any attempt to
> > > "date the Exodus" in the same light as dating Adam and Eve or Noah's
> > > Ark.
>
> Not knowing is excusable... A little help from myself: you should try with
> Ipuwers date according to Seters within the SIP combinated with a date now
> like 1628-1626 for Thera. Geologists have found Nile sediments from the
> Theran outburst. Some very massive ash cloud must have reached Egypt. My
> own very accurate date for the Exodus is 1622.

I snipped this post here because I see a big problem....other than the real
potential of having our keyboard hands slapped for a thread not related to
the Hebrew language. You cannot date an event for which there is no
evidence by an event for which there is evidence. The Thera eruption was
a VEI 6 making Krakatao appear like a cherry bomb and Mt. St. Helens
a mere firecracker. I am certain there is a large body of Mediterranean
mythology rising from the event. The most that we can do from an
historical-critical standpoint is see a context in which such an event.....
almost certainly in less exaggerated proportions...could have happened.

The Thera eruption would place the purported exodus during the
Hyksos period which I think is too early. Whatever historical event
may sub-stratify the Exodus story, the earliest Hebrew chroniclers
placed it during the reign of Thutmosis the Great.

Jack

Jack Kilmon
jkilmon AT historian.net

http://www.historian.net