b-hebrew - Re[2]: SV: Gilgamesh (John)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: SV: Gilgamesh (John)
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:45:38 -0500

I remember from years ago, probably when I was learning German, a
little story of the mouse from Hamburg who set out to go round the
world, but gave up when he got to Altona - a suburb of Hamburg. If you
have correctly interpreted the data here, I suppose we have to assume
that Terah was as ridiculous as that mouse.

Or are you suggesting that Terah's party stopped off in Haran for some
shopping and Terah died suddenly there? I hardly think that Y$B can
bear that meaning.

Actually I don't think it ever says that Abraham was BORN in Ur
Kasdim. There is another possible scenario consistent with the texts:
Terah lived in or near Haran and Abraham was born there, then Terah
moved to Ur Kasdim (a long way off, we don't know where) and Abraham's
younger brother Haran was born there, and died there (11:28). Then
Terah and his clan moved back to Haran (11:31). I invite you to find
anything impossible in that scenario.

Peter Kirk