b-hebrew - Re: SV: Gilgamesh (John)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: SV: Gilgamesh (John)
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 01:15:45 +0100

At 22.46 21/01/00 +0200, John Ronning wrote:
>Gen 11:31 NPL version:
>> Terach takes his family, all of them
>
>All of them except Nahor, which is not convenient for the
>southern Ur theory since then you
>have to account for how Nahor's family mysteriously got up
>from the Persian Gulf to near Haran (Gen 24:10; 29:4-5).

The narrative follows Abraham. Perhaps you might find a text centred around
Nahor.

>Note also both a KE&ED (with a SIN, like kasdim) and 'ARAM
>listed among Nahor's descendants (Gen 22:21-22).

Naturally, this is an interesting indication of another tradition. Gen.10
tells us that Aram was the brother of Arpachshad. Thanks for pointing it out.

>Ian wrote:
>> Let's put it this way: we *know* that there was at least one Ur Kasdim and
>> that was the southern Mesopotamian city
>
>Let's put it this way - there is no evidence that anyone
>before about a hundred years ago called the southern
>mesoptamian Ur "Ur-kasdim." That's not its name

The writer of Nehemiah referred to Ur of the Chaldeans in 9:7.

Do you think that he referred to anything but a city in the Chaldean
territory as understood at the time?

Cheers,

Ian