b-hebrew - Re: Ariyel's Flower

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ariyel's Flower
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 16:59:54 -0500

Randy first, then Peter.

Randy, I think I wrote 'et tstitsah someplace in my last
post. Of course, it would either be tsitsah or 'et
hatsitsah, depending on the context. I didn't see the typo
until later, and only mention it because it was a point of
discussion.

Peter, thank for your comments. you wrote:

> Not bad work. But surely you would expect something more
like the
> following?
>
> 1. (title) hatsitsah le'ariyel
> 2. 'ariyel holeket `al haderek
> 3. vatishax lareyx 'et tsitsah ...
>
> The original form of 2. would suggest that she had already
walked
> along the road at the time of 3, not that she was in the
process of
> doing so.

Not always. look at Gen 1:1 or an exen less controversial
example, 22:1. The writer wanted to give a summarial
statement by which the narrative is framed. Do you think it
works in my student's story?

> Also, is the use in 4 of HINNE with QATAL correct, for the
next event
> in a narrative? This is certainly not a common usage of
HINNE.

> Peter Kirk

hineh qatal is not rare. In narrator's text you'll see one
in Gen 6: 12, 8:13, 19:28, 38:29, etc. I am guessing about
30-40 examples. It's even more common in character's text
(direct speech), probably a hundred examples. The string
<hineh + X + qatal> is quite a bit less common, maybe 30 or
40 altogether. See Num 22:5, 22:32, Deu 22:17, 1 Ki 1:18, 1
Ki 1:51, Isa 62:11, *all in character's text*. Do you think
the construction reflects "narrative surprise" in my
student's narrative?

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine