b-hebrew - Ariyel's Flower

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Ariyel's Flower
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 19:48:19 -0500

B-Haverim,

My student wrote the following story, known more technically
in class as a Historical Narrative. I am wondering if you
would care to comment on it or help me give it a grade.
Beware, I will pass your comments on to this high school
11th grader! 8-)

The assignment was to write a narrative of around fifteen
clauses that display relief or a discourse profile, sort of
a texture in the narrative as can be created by using a
variety of clause types. Perhaps you can comment on whether
indeed you find the story to be Classical Hebrew, and if so,
whether you find it stylistically mature. I give you below
a clause-by clause transcription of the story and a
translation to help you in case you find the transliteration
difficult.

1. (title) hatsitsah le'ariyel
2. 'ariyel halak:t `al haderek
3. vatishax lareyx 'et tsitsah
4. vehineh hatsitsah dibar:t
5. vato'mer
6. boqer tob 'ariyel
7. vatdaleg 'ariyel
8. vatits`aq
9. vataber hatstitsah 'el 'ariyel le'mor
10. 'al tir'i
11. 'ani re`ak
12. vato'mer 'aiyel
13. 'otak 'abi' lebeyti
14. vatabi' 'ariyel 'et hatsitsah lebeytah.
15. vatiqra' shemah. re`i

(1) Ariel's Flower
(2) Ariel was a walker (X-qatal) on the way, (3)and she
bowed down (wayyiqtol) to smell a flower. (4)And behold, it
was the flower that was a speaker (X-qatal), (5)and she
said, (6)"Good morning, Ariyel!" (7)So Ariyel leapt
(wayyiqtol) (8)and cried out (wayyiqtol). (9)Then spoke the
flower (wayyiqtol) to Ariyel saying (infinitive), (10)"Fear
not! (11)I am your friend." (12)So Ariyel said, (13)"You
will I bring (X- yiqtol) to my house." (14)So Ariyel brought
(wayyiqtol) the flower to her house, (15)and she called
(wayyiqtol) its name My Friend."

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine