b-hebrew - Evidence for pre-exilic Pentateuch

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Evidence for pre-exilic Pentateuch
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:12:17 -0500

With TLT's permission I am forwarding the following to the list. Note
the conclusion, contrary to Walter Mattfeld's, that the Pentateuch
including Genesis is pre-exilic.

To me, acceptance of a common corpus of holy books is good evidence of
some kind of early unity. Later, certainly by 1st century CE, there
was division. That implies to me some kind of split, at some stage. At
any rate, we must consider at what point the books were first accepted
in Judea and in Samaria, and it seems unlikely that this would have
happened at a time when the two groups were in fierce opposition to
each other.

I already answered a few weeks ago Walter Mattfeld's alleged proof of
dependence of Genesis on a Greek myth - the basic point being Ken
Litwak's "chicken and egg" one, that the Greek myth could just as well
have originated in the Phoenicia, Judea or Mesopotamia. This is
Walter's only evidence for Genesis being post-exilic.

Walter's arguments are logically flawed by his shift from Lydia being
"not known to exist" before a certain date to it being assumed not to
exist. Even if this point is allowed, his other evidence suggests
editing in the 7th century BCE, after Nineveh became capital of
Assyria but before its fall, but fails to demonstrate initial
composition in that period. The name "Asshur" is of course found in
Genesis 10:11 and it is interpretation to read "Assyria", the land,
here. Perhaps the otherwise odd "that is the great city" in 10:12 was
originally attached to "Asshur", and the later editor inserted the
names of the great Assyrian cities of his/her own period. Compare
Genesis 2:14 which is geographically correct only if "Asshur" is the
city.

Peter Kirk