b-hebrew - Re: Gilgamesh (and Gawain)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gilgamesh (and Gawain)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:54:19 -0500

B-Haverim,

I am not asserting that the Hebrews might not know the
literature of the ANE. I also realize that this thread is
primarily about the creation stories. On the other hand, I
suggest that when we try to determine whether the chicken
(Biblical story) or the egg (other ANE stories) comes first,
we should tread as though walking on eggs. We ought to
consider that the egg may be a big ol' goose egg, not a
species of chicken at all. For instance, to take an example
in the extreme, both the heroes Gilgamesh and Gawain (14th
century C.E. England) make noble journeys into the
mysterious forest to meet their destinies before seemingly
invincible creatures. Are we to suggest that Gawain is the
grandchild of Gilgamesh? Unlikely to me, considering the
3000 years and 2000 miles between Gilgamesh and Gawain or
1000 years and 1500 miles between Gilgamesh and Gawain's
Celtic origin, not to mention how deeply in detritus
Gilgamesh was hidden at the time Gawain. I realize, of
course, that "Gawain and the Green Knight" is not ANE
literature, but I bring it up to illustrate a parallel that
some scholars have previously noted. My point is that if
such close but *non-genetic* parallels can exist between
historically and culturally divergent literatures, why not
also, even more naturally, within ANE cultures?

What, then, can account for the striking parallels between
the literature of different cultures, whether it be
Gilgamesh to Gawain, Gilgamesh/Enkidu to David/Jonathan or
Greek tragedy to Biblical? I think we explain such
parallels more naturally and safely as merely similar
reflections of a common human experience than (more
speculatively) as genetically direct relatives. Whenever or
wherever it be, the human heart often speaks the same
language, often speaks the same stories.

Shalom,
Bryan

> Walter Mattfeld wrote:
>
> snip
>
> My own research suggests that the ancient Hebrews
creatively drew
> from the
>
> > creation myths of the ANE world, and reinterpreting them
with a
> "new twist,"

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor