b-hebrew - Re[2]: dan 3:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: dan 3:6
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:46:52 -0500

In this connection I will quote some more from the New Bible
Dictionary article "Brick-Kiln" by K.A. Kitchen (published 1962).
Unfortunately no mention of Dr. Dent, but some other leads on similar
material (I have not looked these up):

"Outside of Daniel, Nebuchadrezzar's cruel punishment is attested not
only in Je. xxix.22 but also by actual inscriptions: in a Babylonian
letter of c.1800 BC and in an Assyrian court regulation of c.1130 BC
people were (or might be) thrown into a furnace for punishment: see
G.R. Driver, Archiv f?r Orientforschung, XVIII, 1957, p.129, and E.F.
Weidner, ibid., XVII, 1956, pp.285-286. The practice is used as a
comparison in Ps. xxi.9. On the 'fiery furnace' being a brick-kiln,
compare the reference to the flames from similar modern brick-kilns
lighting up the sky near Babylon by R. Koldewey, The Excavations at
Babylon, 1914, pp.81-82. The brick-kilns of ancient Babylonia may have
looked like the large pottery-kiln excavated at Nippur and pictured in
B. Meissner, Babylon und Assyrien, I, 1920, p.234 and figs. 55,56."

Peter Kirk