b-hebrew - Re: dan 3:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dan 3:6
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 18:53:04 -0800

Alger Johns translates the word as "furnace." Dr. Marcus Jastrow defines
'attun /
'attun'a as "fire-place, stove; a fire-place of which the fire has been
scraped out."
(A Dictionary of the Targumim, the Talmud Babli and Yerushalmi, and the
Midrashic
Literature, p. 133) However, it is also used in Targum Onqelos to translate
the
Hebrew word kavshen at Exodus 19:18, which is a "kiln for lime or pottery,"
(BDBG)
and was used to describe the smoking mountain of the theophany. Or as some
translate
this Hebrew word also, a "furnace." It would appear that the word 'attun
is not
explicit, except to refer to a large place used for burning. Yet ordinarily,
that
might favor furnace or kiln over a bread oven.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org