b-hebrew - Re[2]: (long) Re[3]: WAW the conjunction

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: (long) Re[3]: WAW the conjunction
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 00:48:36 -0500

Dear Rolf,

I don't have time to look into details of your posting at present.
Suffice it to say that I find Aramaic examples no more relevant than
Chinese ones, and prefer not to base theories on "Late Biblical
Hebrew" and poetic ones. I also note that you accept that you have not
found semantic distinctions between Hebrew verb forms, and must rely
on your view of the morphology, which conflicts with the view of
experts in that area like Henry Churchyard.

Your wrote: "This can also account for the several hundred examples of
YIQTOL with past meaning.... To find an iterative, frequentative, or
habitual explanation for these YIQTOLs is often forced. I therefore
find good reasons to say that all examples of the prefix-conjugation
with and without WAW are imperfective, and all examples of the
suffix-conjugation with and without WAW are perfective."

Let me respond to that: "... the several TENS OF THOUSANDS (?) of
examples of WAYYIQTOL with past meaning.... To find an IMPERFECTIVE
explanation for these WAYYIQTOLs is often forced. I therefore find
good reasons to say that NOT all examples of the prefix-conjugation
with WAW are imperfective..."

Peter Kirk