b-hebrew - RE: The gods of "Israel"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'peter_kirk AT sil.org'" <peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The gods of "Israel"
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 01:51:41 +0100

[Niels Peter Lemche] ...
> Do you have any evidence that any "Israelite" believed in and/or
> worhipped two separate divinities El and Yahweh? If not, could it not
> be that they were the same God.
>
> Peter Kirk

[Niels Peter Lemche] Well, yes and no. We have other names of
deities in Hebrew names found e.g. in the Samaria ostraca, but as El also
means 'God' it is not that easy to say whether 'El' in such names are
synonymous with Yahweh or independent theophoric attestations. The same
applies to Ba'al--'Lord--in such contexts.

NPL