b-hebrew - Re: The appropiateness of the discussion thread

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The appropiateness of the discussion thread
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2000 01:39:10 +0100

At 12.15 04/01/00 -0500, Lee R. Martin wrote:
>On the other hand, sometimes the tools themselves need modification.

Certainly true, Lee. You can see this in the way history has changed. Here
are a few excerpts I've translated from an essay by Mario Liverani, the
Italian Assyriologist. Cut 1:

The first point is that one needs to put not the fonts nor the events (or
even the people) at the centre of attention, but the historical problem,
and for its developmentone needs to bring to play all the available sources
(literary and epigraphic, archaeological and environmental) and all the
approaches (ideological, sociological and economic). History therefore is
transforming itself from literary to multidisciplinary, from narrative to
procedural, and finding itself in a wide temporal location and ecological
context, wanting to be global (from the history of a country to that of the
mentality).

Cut 2:

The second point is that the critical analysis ("dismantlement") of the
sources, the semiological analysis of the text, from the principles of the
theory of communication (the text taken as a message, with a sender, a
purpose, a means and receivers) is something more than just a preliminary
examination of the data, but it is the historiographical operation itself...

Cheers,

Ian