b-hebrew - The appropiateness of the discussion thread

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Paul Zellmer" <zellmer AT digitelone.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew, list" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: The appropiateness of the discussion thread
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:59:56 +0800

Niels Peter Lemche wrote (among other things, quoting me here at the
first ):

> > I have just finished reading the Rabinovich article that Jim West
called
> > attention to a few days ago. (Thanks, Jim, for forwarding it to
me.) I
> > found it to be an example of solid reporting without the editorial
> > comments that I have found in most modern-day news articles. I came
> > this conclusion despite the use of "minimalist", because its
intended
> > audience appears to be those to whom the term would be no more
emotional
> > than, say, "banana" or "commentator."
> >
> I read it too. It is inoffensive and for a newspaper article
well-informed.
> Have no problem with it other than I may disagree because of scholarly
> differences. The remarks the quote from me and Ian H. has nothing to
do with
> the content of the JP article.

The quote of Ian was a direct attack at a person's faith position. The
quote by you clearly stated that there was a possibility that your
position might be changed with further evidence that you would find
acceptable, thereby demonstrating that you were giving personal beliefs
(based on some criteria) rather than definite facts. The arguments on
the thread which was in the subject line at the time had long before
gotten to the point of attacks and counter-attacks of faith positions on
both sides. Rabinovich's statement that:

> > "Perched at the edge of a new millennium,
> > revisionists are boldly proposing to rewrite basic tenets of a faith
> > that has been the spiritual underpinning of much of Western
civilization
> > for the past two millennia."

very much describes the posts and responses in this and other threads.
Attempts to change people's belief structures have long been considered
out-of-bounds for this list, and I again call for a clear decision on
the appropiateness of these issues by the list-owner and co-chairs.

Professor, I realize you have every right to argue your position. I am
only questioning if this is the correct forum for your discussions on
these type matters, since I have been convinced in the past that it is
not.

Realizing I'm just probably whistling in the wind,

Paul