b-hebrew - Re[4]: historiography (Peter, again)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[4]: historiography (Peter, again)
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 00:03:14 -0500

The point of the statues is that they are good evidence only if (like
the ones of Augustus you mention) they are in a datable context.

I understand that Josephus' account of the siege of Jotapata is not
borne out by the archaeological evidence, in fact I don't think the
place has even been found. Of course the evidence may have been lost.
The same applies to the evidence for Solomon's Jerusalem. Or maybe
Josephus was making up a story for his own (dubious) glorification.
Who knows?

You wrote: "Poor Kings has almost nothing to support anything it
says." Really? I explicitly wrote "2 Kings". How about the Babylonian
Chronicle for the fall of Jerusalem? How about the Moabite Stone for 2
Kings 3? How about Sennacherib's records for the siege of Jerusalem in
Hezekiah's reign? Of course we get a different spin on events in each
case, history written from a different perspective! Now the times of
David and Solomon are more difficult, I know, though for just after
this we have Shishak/Sheshonq's invasion, if for the moment we drop
David Rohl's reinterpretation of this. Conclusion is just as for
Josephus: we have reasonable external evidence to confirm the latter
parts of Kings, but we cannot be sure about the earlier parts which
must rely on earlier sources of uncertain validity.

Peter Kirk