b-hebrew - Re[2]: Tel Dan & David

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Tel Dan & David
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2000 12:04:04 -0500

George Athas has just finished a Ph.D on the Tel Dan inscription, so
surely he, unlike you and many others including me, is in a position
to judge. Since he does not accept the mention of David, he can hardly
be accused of trying to push this as evidence for David, or as having
been carried away by presuppositions. Cryer's work has not yet been
published. So why can't you accept George's words concerning the Tel
Dan fragments?: "We'll have to wait for Fred Cryer to publish his
arguments for forgery, too, before making a final judgement. However,
I believe their authenticity can be proven beyond reasonable doubt
even now."

Peter Kirk