b-hebrew - Re: Tel Dan & David

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT mail.usyd.edu.au>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tel Dan & David
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:00:58 +1100

> [...]
> While George has already accepted its authenticity, such authenticity has
> not as yet been established and we are living in the world of the Piltdown
> Man, Schliemann's treasure of Priam or for that matter Cyril Burt's child
> psychology statistics. [...]

Ian, in my research, I've shown that the three fragments of the inscription
do come from
the same original stele. One of the major pieces of evidence is the way each
letter has
been carved. There is a universal trend in the manner of carving for every
letter on each
fragment. You can't pick it up in the photographs, but you certainly can when
you see the
fragments themselves. Given that the fragments were discovered at different
points in time
in different locations of the same general area (Area A of Tel Dan), it seems
reasonable
to suggest, on the basis of the manner of carving (for one), that the
fragments are
authentic. We'll have to wait for Fred Cryer to publish his arguments for
forgery, too,
before making a final judgement. However, I believe their authenticity can be
proven
beyond reasonable doubt even now.

The David issue is another issue.

Best regards,