b-hebrew - Re: Tel Dan & David

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lewis Reich" <lewreich AT javanet.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tel Dan & David
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 12:08:09 -0500

This seems to me exactly backward. Unless there is reason to suppose the
artifact a fraud, one should accept it as genuine. That is contradicts
onre's current ideas is not a reason to suppose it fraudulent . None of the
examples are apposite here.
The Turin Shroud was recognized for what it actually is by Church
authorities at the time it first appeared.

Schliemann's discovery of "Priam's Treasure" was not a hoax - the articles
were genuine, only the attribution was a mistake - Schliemann was led astray
by his wish to find what he hoped. Similar thinking was partially
responsible for the success of the Piltdown Man hoax

The Piltdown Man hoax was not discovered earlier because scientist were
denied access to the actual "finds" and instead had to be content with
studying reproductions. As Stephen Jay Gould has noted, the hoax was
accepted because it played to the expectations of the times. Today a human
cranium with an ape's jaw is considered to be extremely implausible and
far-fetched. But in the early part of this century, anthropologists were
imbued with the cultural prejudice which considered man's big brain as his
ticket to rule, the main evolutionary feature that made it possible for man
to develop all his other unique features. Since there was a pre-conceived
notion that man's brain must have developed to its human size before other
changes occurred in human structure, a human cranium with an ape's jaw
didn't arouse as much suspicion as it would today.

In the case of the Tel Dan inscription, since there is no evidence to
suggest a fraud, it seems to me that is those who refuse to accept its
genuineness that are being led astray by their presuppositions.

Lewis Reich