b-hebrew - Re: Surprise!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Norman Swift <neswift AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Ruthy & Baruch <alster AT comandcom.com>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Surprise!
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2000 09:23:20 -0500

Consider the case of Ehud in Judges 3, who apparently counted on the posited
left-handed prowess of Benjaminite warriors as part of his strategy of
surprise in the assassination of Eglon: a sudden movement of the left hand
to the -herev- on his right thigh will not instanteously be construed by the
king as a movement of a weapon hand. You might check _The Art of Biblical
Narrative_ (BasicBooks[Perseus]:1981). Alter is professor of Hebrew and
Comparative Literature at UCal Berkeley and offers his often fascinating
view of narrative prose in the HB, type-scenes, dialogue, reticence, etc.
Best!
Norman E. Swift

>surprise [geschnippen]
> 1. Does anyone know of general discussions of this subject, by anyone
> other than Sternberg (_The Poetics of Biblical Narrative_)? I understand
> (from a vague reference in T. Cave's _Recognitions_) that Piero Boitani may
> have covered this subject in ancient and medieval literature (including
> Bible), but I can't find the title.
>
> 2. Are there any articles / book chapters dealing with specific Biblical
> surprise stories? I've found a few, but they're hard to look for,
> especially as surprise is mentioned only in passing in many of my
> references.

  • Surprise!, Ruthy & Baruch, 01/03/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Surprise!, Norman Swift, 01/03/2000
    • Surprise!, Ruthy & Baruch, 01/23/2000