b-hebrew - Surprise!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ruthy & Baruch" <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Surprise!
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 09:24:31 +0200

Shalom to all!

I am currently working on my MA thesis (at Bar Ilan University, with Dr.
Amos Frisch of the Bible department), on surprise in Biblical narrative
(from a literary perspective), and would like to ask you all a few
questions, mainly about references:

1. Does anyone know of general discussions of this subject, by anyone
other than Sternberg (_The Poetics of Biblical Narrative_)? I understand
(from a vague reference in T. Cave's _Recognitions_) that Piero Boitani may
have covered this subject in ancient and medieval literature (including
Bible), but I can't find the title.

2. Are there any articles / book chapters dealing with specific Biblical
surprise stories? I've found a few, but they're hard to look for,
especially as surprise is mentioned only in passing in many of my