b-hebrew - Re: attempts at English descriptive grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: attempts at English descriptive grammar
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 06:26:24 -0700

Peter,
> Thanks, Ian. I wondered what you would have to say on this discussion,
> and I think you have come up with a good one, as follows: If all the
> linguists who are studying the English language, with the help of
> 100's of millions of native speakers, can't come up with a proper
> analysis of the English tense/aspect/modality system, what chance is
> there for a few analysts of Hebrew with no native speakers? OK, the
> English system is very complex, but then so (in different ways) is the
> Hebrew one, apparently.

My working hypothesis on this is that English is more complex
than many other languages (notably Hebrew) because it's a melting-
pot language that has undergone influence from so many different
languages and cultures especially over the last 2 or 3 centuries.
Hence, linguistic systems based on English tend to be of limited
usefulness for other languages, especially older ones like Hebrew.
This is the major reason why I rejected Government-Binding theory
and stuck with a modified version of Chomsky's earlier EST. IMO
GB and its successors are trying far too hard to explain all the
idiosyncrasies of English and are based too heavily on it.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11

  • Re: attempts at English descriptive grammar, Dave Washburn, 01/03/2000