b-hebrew - Re: FW: Re[8]: Methods in biblical scholarship

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: Re[8]: Methods in biblical scholarship
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 08:58:44 -0800

The Sadducees and Essenes, which some scholars say are different branches of
the same
philosophy, based their outlook on the Temple. They had no stragegy for
surviving the
Temple's destruction. On the other hand, the Pharisees did. If, indeed, it
is later
rabbinic Judaism that defined "orthodoxy," it is because they were the
successful
ones who came up with a viable strategy for Judaism's survival. A
significant sect
of minim or "fringe Jews" who did survive the Temple's destruction did
accept certain
aspects of apocalypticism, but they were also informed by Pharisaic
philosophy, except
that for them the concepts of Temple and Messiah were re-formed.

Solomon Landers
Memra Institute for Biblical Research
http://www.memrain.org