b-hebrew - Re: Successful challenges

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: RHutchin AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Successful challenges
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:33:59 EST

<< Jonathan Safren wrote:

> What do you do with Gen. 36 31, "And these are the kings that reigned

> in Edom before there reigned a king of/over Israel"? >>

Roger opines--
>From my reading of the particular verse in context with the Pentateuch, I
thought the reference was to Pharaoh, King of Egypt, since the term is used
several times beginning in Exodus. Consequently, the historian, whom I take
to be Moses, was stating that the listed kings of Edom reigned prior to that
king who did not know Joseph (Ex 1:8).

However, I have not been following this discussion, so my comment may be
irrelevant.

Roger Hutchinson
RHutchin AT AOL.com