b-hebrew - Re[2]: Successful challenges

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Successful challenges
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 11:53:56 +0100

---------- Original Message ----------

>> In my statement about no challenges to Mosaic authorship have been
>> successful,
>> meant that none have convinced me. Yes, hundreds of people have
>> successfully
>> brought to completion challenges to Mosaic authorship of the Torah. None
>> that I
have
>> read have convinced me that my belief is wrong.
>>
>And why is that, Jonathan?

>LMB

Largely because they are based on highly speculative models of history and
ridiculous
preconceptions about how a text 'should' be written. Also, the examples and
motives
that they have given have been eerily easy for me to discount, in most cases
simply
by looking at the text, without the need to consult commentaries or others
who have
already looked into the question.

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien