b-hebrew - Re: Successful challenges

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ruthy & Baruch" <alster AT comandcom.com>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Successful challenges
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:49:15 +0200

Jonathan Safren wrote:

> What do you do with Gen. 36 31, "And these are the kings that reigned
> in Edom before there reigned a king of/over Israel"? Even Rashi
> attributed this king-list to the time of King Jehoshafat, leading Ibn
> Ezra to proclaim that his book should be burned. What do you do with all
> the other verses indicating late authorship of the Pentateuch?

I can't find what you mentioned in Rashi. If I'm not mistaken, the
commentator Yitzchaki mentioned by Ibn Ezra was from Spain. I'll try to
look it up tomorrow. Rashi himself was much more conservative than Ibn
Ezra; see e.g. Rashi on Gen 12:6, as opposed to Ibn Ezra there and Dt 1:2.

Kol Tuv,
Baruch Alster
Kochav Ya`akov, Israel