b-hebrew - Re: Successful challenges

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Successful challenges
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 15:05:20 +0200

Jonathan Bailey wrote:

> [...]

Dear Jonathan,
There wasn't any permanent settlement in Edom until the mid-13th century BCE.
The Edomite kingship wouldn't have been established immediately, but only
after a process of
development, as in Israel. The Bible is not talking of kings of Esau, but
kings of Edom. There's
quite a list, and if the list isn't talking about local kinglets reigning at
the same time (as
the judges in the Book ofJudges), then Edomite kingship was established some
time before the
Israelite one. The author of the list in Gen. 36 is looking back at all this.
Sincerely,
--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies