b-hebrew - Re: JEDP (Melchizedek)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: JEDP (Melchizedek)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 09:47:47 +0200

Ian Hutchesson wrote:

> It is extremely important to realise the Melchizedek propaganda after the
> Michael material used by the later Oniads -- see the usages in the DSS.
> When the Hasmoneans had usurped the throne of Jerusalem, they ruled as
> priest kings. Whereas the Oniad was known as zedek, the priest king used
> the connection with melchizedek, the righteous king. Recourse to
> Melchizedek by-passed the Zadokite prerequisite for the high priesthood,
> hence its placement before anthing to do with the main line of priestly
> tradition.
>
> Is psalm 110 anything more or less than a Hasmonean incoronation?

Your whole theory rests, so it appears to me from your posting, on tw
foundations:
1) Ps. 110 has not been found at Qumran.
2) The similarity in the names Melchizedek and Zadok.

As for your first foundation, has every chapter of every biblical book been
found at
Qumran? The absence of Ps. 110 from Qumran is no proof of its lateness.This
may be due
to the vicissitudes of time and chance.
As for the name Melchizedek and Zadok, don't forget King Adonizedek of the
Conquest
and Setllement Narratives. And don't forget the astral deity Zedek.
Adonizedek and
Melchizedek are theophoric names indicating worship of that god.
Why must they be late figures, except for your desire to see them as late?

--
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies